Pre 1800

Cornet Dickinson
Gazetted (London), 24th of April 1798, Loyal Leicestershire Gentlemen and Yeomanry, Cornet - Dickinson to be Lieutenant, Vice. Noble, promoted in the Leicestershire Militia.
Its a point to note that the facings of the Quorn Hunt's evening tails are "sky blue", this appears to be more than coincidence when it comes to the colours of the facings and overalls  of the Loyal Leicestershire Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry. More research will have to be done to see if there is a firm connection between the regiment and the Quorn Hunt's choice of colour. The Quorn Hunt was founded in 1753 and therefore the Gentlemen of Leicestershire who saw service in their County Yeomanry cavalry might have chosen this colour in connection with the Quorn Hunt, this is just speculative guess until proof can be found of a connection.    
The Gentleman's magazine Vol.66 P.II 1796
Country News Oct 7th 1796

This day "The Loyal Leicestershire Regiment of Gentlemen and Yeomanry Cavalry" was reviewed by their Colonel Sir William Skeffington in the Abbey Meadow. The Corps performed their several evolutions etc with a precision and exactness that would have done the honour to veteran Troops, greatly to the satisfaction of the Colonel and a numerous and elegant assemblage of distinguished characters of the County. On quitting the field, the Colonel, with his usual animation addressed each Squadron of the Regiment as he went down the line with an appropriate speech, the purport of which was to thank them for their soldier like appearance and the adroitness with which they performed every part of their exercise, and in the politest terms delivered his highest praise for the zeal and attention they showed on every occasion reflecting so much honour on themselves, and equally gratifying and obliging to him as Colonel of so meritorious a Corps. What added greatly to the splendour of the day was the disposal of the Loyal Leicestershire Infantry, which was so judiciously executed by Captain Walker, Commandant of the Corps and his Officers that the field exercise was kept clear of all obstructions and rendered additionally brilliancy to the spectacle by their appearance.

The Gentleman's magazine Vol.64 P.II page 857
Historical Chronicle

This day the Leicestershire Volunteer Cavalry received their standards in form; as ceremony as interesting and splendid as the occasion was momentous and glorious; the appearance of three hundred respectable neighbours, voluntary standing forth in the defence of their Country, attended by the civil power of the County and Town, as if unifying themselves in support of each other; honoured by the preference and respect of the neighbouring Nobility and gentry; surrounded by a generous concourse of their fellow countrymen; and crowned with the appreciation and smiles of all the beauties in Leicestershire, who seemed to look up to them as to the "manly hearts who guard the fair"! - Early in the morning an officers guard, under the commend of Captain Lieutenant Burnaby, mounted guard at headquarters and attended the person of the Colonel (Sir William Skeffington) through the day. At eleven o'clock the Troops assembled, from their different alarm posts and formed a hollow square in the Market place; after which an officers guard, from the Colonels Troop, conducted Miss Linwood attended by Mr Hungerford (who represented the Lord lieutenant of the County) and a splendid assemblage of ladies and gentlemen of the county and town, to headquarters, with the truly elegant banner which that lady whose un equalled genius alone could produce it , had, to her infinite honour, wrought, as her patriotic  donation to the Corps and which was afterwards , at her desire, presented by Lady Skeffington. The Leicester Troop, under the command of Captain Hayrick, then conducted the mayor and Corporation from the Guildhall, in their formalities to the market place, where they were received by the Colonel, and saluted as they passed the line. The Royal Banner, which was extremely elegant, and the donation of Lady Charlotte Curzon, daughter of the gallant Earl Howe, was the displayed to the Troops and afterwards presented by her Ladyship to the Colonel, escorted by the High Sheriff and Earl of Moira; at the same time Lady Skeffington, attended by Mr Hungerford, and Mayor of Leicester, displayed the Provincial banner given by Miss Linwood. The presenting ladies were attended by a train of ladies and gentlemen "en uniforme". After passing in front of the line, the banners were presented to the Colonel, who delivered them to the senior Cornets, accompanied by a manly and appropriate speech. On the Standards being received, they were saluted by the Troops.
The Colonel then, with animation and dignity highly becoming he character and rank, thus addressed the Corps:-

On Presenting the Royal Standard
"Gentlemen,
I have the honour to present this Royal Standard to the Corps, being the gift of Lady Charlotte Curzon, as a testimony of her loyalty to her Sovereign, her zeal for the glorious cause we are engaged in, and her singular regard for the honour and welfare of the Loyal  Corps of Leicestershire Volunteer Cavalry.
Under the influence of the donative of the daughter is the victorious Earl Howe, I am confident that, whenever occasion offers, it will incite you to valorous deed; to the honour of the donor, and the esteem of your country; remembering that it is to be valiantly defended and never yielded but with life.
Long live the King!"

On Presenting the Provincial Standard
"Gentlemen,
Impressed with an unalterable loyalty for her Sovereign and attachment to her country, Lady Skeffington expresses a heart felt satisfaction in the opportunity of this public declaration of her sentiments. The presentation of the provincial Standard she esteems not only an appropriate duty, but also as an honour which she ever must remember with sensations as animating as the memorable cause we so gloriously are engaged in. She warmly participates in the apportion excited by Miss Linwood, to whose ingenuity and loyalty we are indebted for a Standard, which ***, in point of work, must be eminently conspicuous. Lady Skeffington, maintaining a steadfast esteem for the spirited and gallant Corps of Leicestershire cavalry, ardently hopes an unvarying prosperity may happily distinguish our patriotic regiment, for whose welfare she *** must retain the most anxious regard. Sincerely wishing each individual Yeoman every success which valour must deserve, she expects you to remember that this standard, the insignia of honour, like honour, should be yielded but with life."

After the ceremony of presentation was concluded
"Gentlemen,
The gratification I experience at the glorious sight of my countrymen assembled here, is not to be described; confident I am there is not a heart but which grows with an animation equal to her own; The circumstance most sensitively felt by me on this memorable occasion is having the honour of being appointed to our own gracious Sovereign to the command of the Corps of such honourable patriotic gentlemen, which I shall sour esteem the most elevated station of my life; and this day will be a memorial to remind your Country of the affection you bear it, by standing for the defence of everything human nature holds most valuable; and at a time when you were looked up to for its defence. Gentlemen, we give proof that the same heroic ardour glows in our veins which did in our valiant ancestors, let us emulate them who so hardy fought and fled in defence of a Constitution which is the pride and envy of the world; and let us by this bright example be stimulated to the last drop of our blood in defending our beneficent King, our Religion, our Country, and its Laws - Long Live The King! and may prosperity uninterrupted, await every part of His majesty's dominions!

After this, as well as after the presentation, the band played "God Save the King" The Officer's saluting, and the Regiment pointing their swords towards the Standards, then the Colonel proceeded.

"Gentlemen,
I cannot quit this inspiring subject without taking to intimate, that thanks are too deficient for your late worthy representative in Parliament, Mr Hungerford, who so long in his senatorial capacity conferred honour on the station you were pleased to call him. "To", and who retired from the arduous task to enjoy his well earned  reward, the appreciation of a grateful County. This then, gentlemen, can we sufficiently acknowledge our obligations to him, who, on the instant the glorious undertaking was devised, flew with a zeal that kept pace with his former acts, and never quitted the enterprise, tell by his attention and sedulous case, the meritorious cause we are engaged in was accomplished! Thanks are his due, but let us do more; permit the remembrance of his attachment to his King and Country , and service he has rendered to the cause, to be engraved indelibly in our hearts."

After the Chaplain, (The Rev T Gresley B A) had very solemnly consecrated the banners. The Troops marched off the Abbey Meadow, where they went through their exercises to the apportion of the Colonel, and the administration of a great concourse of spectators. From the field the Troops were marched again to the Market Place, where the banners were delivered into the hands of the Colonel. The day concluded with a ball and supper given by the Corps, which was numerously attended by the nobility and gentry of the county and town amongst whom were the Countess of Dentigh, Lord and Lady Curzon, Lady Charlotte Curzon , Lady Skeffington, the Miss Morrises, Mr Skeffington, Lady Bromley, the Hon Miss Curzons, Sir Charles Cave, Sir John Palmer, Sir Charles and lady Hudson, Mr & Mrs Winstanley, Mr & Mrs Pack, Arch deacon Burnaby etc etc etc. The rooms (by request of the corps) were ornamented under the direction of Miss Mary Linwood; the decoration of which were in a style of elegance peculiar to herself, were loyalty and taste throughout this occasion  reflect equal honour on herself and the Corps. The Horse Guards blue, quartered in the Town, under the command of Quartermaster Rutledge, very politely offered their services, to keep the ground clear of intrusion, which they executed much to their credit. The utmost unanimity and satisfaction prevailed the whole day and Leicestershire seemed to have but one heart. In the Ranks we were pleased to observe, Charles Lorraine Smith and Clement Winstanley, jun. Esquires. who have set an example that reflects the highest credit to themselves and is worthy of imitation by all the gentlemen of the County. As the policy of these institutions is deemed wise & expedient, it surely is a duty they owe themselves, "who have most at stake", to follow up their pecuniary aid with "personal assistance."


Colonel Sir William Charles Farrell-Skeffington, 1st Baronet, Bart.
(b. 24 June 1742 – d. 26 January 1815)

Command:- 9th of May 1794 to the 27th of November 1803.

He was elected to command the "Leicester Regiment of Gentlemen and Yeomanry, and his colonelcy was gazetted on 9th May 1794. He had previously served for seventeen years in the 1st Foot Guards, and was fifty-two years of age when he was appointed to the Yeomanry.

The regiment was disbanded in 1802, to be re-raised in 1803, still with Sir William in command, and it has had a continuous existence since the as either horsed or mechanised cavalry.

The Leicestershire Yeomanry were formed at the Three Crowns Inn, Leicester on 10 April 1794 to meet the threat of a French invasion. As with most Yeomanry regiments, they were supported by local subscription. On the 14th of June 1794, the "Leicester Herald" reported that: 'Maj Sir W Skeffingham and Capt Curzon of the Leicester Independent Cavalry kissed the King's hand on Wednesday on having completed their complement of men.' Six Troops were raised and they mustered on the 4th July 1794 on Leicester Race ground.

 

In 1803 the Regiment appeared in the Militia List as:-

 'The Royal Leicestershire Regiment of Gentlemen and Yeomanry Cavalry'

the only time the Royal title was used. They were awarded the 'Prince Albert's Own' title in 1844 after providing an escort for the Queen and the Prince Consort to Belvoir Castle. They did not see action until the Boer War in1899.

 

The
LOYAL LEICESTERSHIRE
volunteer
CAVALRY

 

Also known as :-

i) Leicestershire Regiment of Gentlemen and Yeomanry

ii) Loyal Leicestershire Gentlemen and Yeomanry

iii) Loyal Leicester Yeomanry

 

War Office : List of the Officers : Gentleman & Yeomanry : Leicester (1794/95/97)

 


Colonel William C Skeffington, Bart
9th of May 1974-1803

The image is from the original oil painting by Samuel Drummond, RA, painted in 1794.

J.S.A.H.R, Vol XLIII, p27-29 published 1965 Vol No.43 (by Major A McK Annand ) :- William Charles Farrell (later Skeffington) was born in Jermyn Street, London, 24th June 1742, being a member of a family originally coming from Connaught and descended from the princes of Annaly [1].

On the 11th of February , 1761, William Farrell obtained an Ensigncy in the 1st Foot Guards, and whilst in that rank on the 9th December, 1765, married at St. Peter le Poer, London, Catherine Josepha, the eldest daughter of Micheal Hubbert, of Tenerife, and a merchant of the City of London. The Hubberts also, if not of Irish descent, were at least connected with that country, being nearly allied to the Butlers, Dukes of Ormonde.

It was on the 27th of May, 1768, that Farrell received promotion to Lieutenant and Captain, and in 1772 he was appointed one of the esquires to the Duke of York at the installation of the Knights of Bath. In the same year, on 11th of June, he assumed the surname and arms of Skeffington, a name derived from that of a village in Leicestershire [2]. Further promotion to Captain to Lieutenant-Colonel (still in the 1st Foot Guards) came on the 5th of February , 1776, and in 1778 he appears for the last time in the Army Lists. He was created a baronet on 10th June, 1786.

In the great crisis of 1794, a "General Meeting of the County of Leicester" was held at the Three Crowns Inn, with Lord Ferrers in the chair, when it was resolved to raise a regiment of cavalry not less than 100 men, and on a list of subscribers being opened Sir William Skeffington contributed 100. This meeting saw the birth of the Leicestershire Yeomanry, the command of which was given to Sir William, and it is recorded in the Leicester Herald of 14th June, 1794, that "Major Sir W F Skeffington and Captain Curzon of the Leicestershire Independent Cavalry kissed the King's hand on Wednesday on having completed their compliment of men." Sir William's colonelcy of the "Leicestershire Regiment of Gentlemen and Yeomanry" is date 9th of May, 1794, in the Yeomanry Lists.

On the 4th of July the Regiment met on the race ground and were formed into six troops, the muster rolls being made by Mr. Payne, the regimental clerk [3]. Referring to the 29th of August, it is recorded

that "On this memorable day the Leicestershire Volunteer Cavalry received their standards in form," these standards, two in number, being described as  the "royal banner" (the donation of Lady Charlotte Curzon), and the "provincial banner," made and given by Miss Linwood [4]. They were also described elsewhere as the "Colonel's Standard" and the "Provincial Standard".

 

1. "Memoir of the late Sir William Skeffington, Bart." The European Magazine and London Review for June, 1895.

2. The Dictionary of National Biography, under the name of his son, Sir Lumley Skeffington, and the European Magazine. From Skeffington Hall a distant view could be had of the battle of Naseby (1645).

3. "An outline of the history of the Leicestershire (Prince Albert's Own) Yeomanry" by Colonel Codrington DSO OBE TD.  

 
Lt. Col. John Penn Curzon
9th of May 1794-97 (Died 3/11/1797)

House of Commons MPs 1757-97 :- Hon. J P Curzon MP
It appears that Lady Charlotte Curzon, mentioned above, is possibly Lady Sophia Charlotte Curzon and the daughter of Admiral of the Fleet, Richard Howe, 1st Earl Howe and
Mary Hartop, the daughter of Colonel Chiverton Hartop of Welby in Leicestershire. Penn Assheton Curzon, Marriage: 31 JUL 1787 at Shenley, Buckingham, England to Sophia Charlotte Howe, 19 Feb 1762 - 3 Dec 1835.

The House of Commons 1790-1820 :-

2nd son = Richard William Penn Curzon-Howe, 11 Dec 1796 - 12 May 1870.

Adjutant Yates

Died in 1799 and buried in St. Margaret's, Leicester.  He was a Sergeant in the Royal Horse Guards (Blues).


Major John Frewen Turner
9th of May 1794-1803

Colonel John Frewen [Turner] of Cold Overton, the son of the Rev Thomas Frewen (1708-1791) and Esther Simpkin (died 1803), was born on 1 August 1755 and baptised 28 August at Sapcote. He was sent to Rugby School aged 8. He matriculated at Queen's College, Oxford on 14 May 1774 and was awarded a BA in 1778; on 4 February 1779 he was admitted to the Middle Temple. John served as Sheriff of Leicestershire in 1791, he was Lieutenant-Colonel of Leicestershire Yeomanry (in September 1794 the Corporation of Leicester presented the freedom of the borough to him as 'Major of the Loyal Leicestershire Volunteer Cavalry (FRE/1473)) and MP for the Borough of Athlone, Westmeath, 1807-1812. On 1 August 1808 at St John Westminster he married Eleanor Clark, the daughter of Charles Clark of Westminster and his second wife Elizabeth Hay; she was born on 16 January 1786 (FRE/3171). He died at Coventry on 1 February 1829 and was buried at Cold Overton; she died in 1879. Although John Frewen assumed the arms and surname of the Turner family when he inherited their Leicestershire estate in 1791.

 

Adjutant George Mantle

 

Adjutant Frederick Jackson

3rd Light Dragoons, made Adj. on the death of Adj. Bowater on the 2nd of August 1834.

 

Captain Brown

 

Captain Edward Farnham

9th of May 1794-1803

 

Captain John Heyrick

9th of May 1794-97

 

Capt Lieut. Edwin Andrew Burnaby

Lieutenant on the 9th of May 1794 and then promoted on the 16th April 1795 -1803.

 

Captain Robert Haymes

9th of May 1794-1803

High Sheriff of Leicestershire in 1813. Major in 1799.

 

Lt. William Brown

9th of May 1794-1803

London Gazette, Issue 14072, Page 1176:-

 

Lt. King

9th of May 1794-1803

 

Lt. L C Humphrey

9th of May 1794

 

Lt Edward Hodges

9th of May 1794-1803

 

Lt Ambrose J Salisbury

9th of May 1794, promoted Lieutenant 23 Dec1795-1803

 

Cornet Samuel Steel Perkins

9th of May 1794-76

Samuel Steele Perkins the elder of Orton on the Hill, esq. (only son and heir of Elizabeth Perkins, widow, who was sister & co-heiress of Richard Farmer of Witherley, dec'd, and of Ann Gresley, widow, deceased. [Assignment of Mortgage  DE322/7/2/2  8th April 1806 :- Leics & Rutland County records : Witherley Estate Records]

 

Cornet Deverell

9th of May 1794-1803

 

Cornet George Anthony Legh-Keck

Cornet 1798, Lieutenant 1801.

The House of Commons 1790-1820 :-

 

Cornet George Noble

9th of May 1794-1803

 

Cornet Hulse

18th July 1796 -1803

 

Cornet William Dickenson

9th of May 1794-1803

The London Gazette, Edition No.13693, p829, 16th August 1794 :-

The London Gazette, Edition No.15010, p344, 28th April 1798 :-

 

Cornet Thomas Hickinbotham

13th May 1795-1803

 

Cornet Palmer

26th Jan 1797-1803

 

Cornet Phillipps

 

Cornet William Haynes

26th Jan 1797-1803

 

Cornet Salisbury

 

Asst. Surgeon Thomas Macauley

Appt. 5th Oct1833 vice Oliver, resigned.

 

Agent, Messrs. Meyrick, Spring Garden.

 

LEICESTER TROOP

Captain Charles Loraine Smith

15th August 1795

The Gentleman's Magazine, Vol 4, p.430 :- Aug 23 1835, at Enderby Hall, Leicestershire, aged 84. He was the second son of Sir Charles Loraine Smith, the third baronet of Kirke-Hale, Co. Northumberland


CAPTAIN,
John Heyrick, Jun.

LIEUTENANT,
Edward Hodges.

CORNET,
George Noble

TROOPERS
Edward Bankart Thomas Miller
Francis Burgess Edward Marson
Thomas Burley James Nutt
John Brown Thomas Stanley Nedham
Robert Cooper Thomas Peach
William Cox William Parsons
Joseph Cradock Thomas Read
John Dalby Samual Roberts
John Eames John Rowland
John Elia Joseph Spencer
John Fox Joseph Smith, Jun
John Hall William T. Simpson
William Heard John Throsby
Edward Harrison John Throsby, Jun
Henry Hetherington Henry Temple
George Ireland John Walker
Thomas Jeffcutt Robert walker
John Kettleby Henry Watchorn
Henry King John Watchorn
Welby King William Whitehead
Thomas Lowe Thomas Wright
Micheal Miles Clement Winstanley
Charles Meredith John Willows

 

Other County Yeomanry Cavalry

 

 

 

The Lutterworth Independent Troop of Yeomanry Cavalry (1803-07)

At Lutterworth the effort Henry Otoway brought into being a Troop of Loyal Lutterworth Gentleman and Yeomanry. A short lived body of county cavalry that were absorbed by the Leicestershire Yeomanry who recruited from the area.

 

The Ashby de la Zouche Cavalry Association (1798 - 1802)

Another short lived body of county cavalry that were absorbed by the Leicestershire Yeomanry who recruited from the area. Only 1 troop was raised at Ashby.

 

The Leicestershire Provisional Cavalry (1797 - 1800)

Raised by the 5th Duke of Rutland as Lord Lieutenant of Leicestershire and was a sizeable force.

 

The Rutland Yeomanry Cavalry (1794 - 1828)

The RYC were the very first Yeomanry Cavalry Regiment to be raised in the Kingdom in 1794 and were in service along with the neighbouring Leicestershire Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry (a close second in their establishment) until their disbandment in 1828. Shortly after this the Leicestershire Yeomanry started to recruit from Rutland. 

 

 

 

Colonel The 9th Earl of Winchelsea

The first commanding officer of the RYC was Colonel The 9th Earl of Winchelsea, George Finch. George Finch, 9th Earl of Winchilsea KG PC FRS (4 November 1752 – 2 August 1826) was an important figure in the history of cricket. His main contributions to the game were patronage and organisation, but Winchilsea was also a very keen player.

Finch was the son of William Finch, who was in turn the son of Daniel Finch, 2nd Earl of Nottingham (1647–1730), and Charlotte Fermor, daughter of Thomas Fermor, 1st Earl of Pomfret. His sister was Sophia Finch. His father died in 1766 and he inherited the Winchilsea title in 1769, from a more distant relation. He was a military man and in his younger days he served with the 87th Foot in the American Revolutionary War from 1776 to 1780, finishing as a lieutenant-colonel. He was Lord Lieutenant of Rutland for many years.

 

Sir Gerard Noel Edwards, of the Gainsborough family of Exton.

The Riding School built for the Rutland Fencibles by the MP Gerard Noel Edwards now houses the Rutland County Museum, this was built opposite Sir Gerard's mansion in Oakham. The riding school was also used by the PAOLYC and the school was in use by the regiment right up to the Great War and beyond. The men of the County of Rutland, as A Squadron LY PAO, fought with distinction with the Regiment at the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge in May 1915. Colonel P C Evans-Freke, who died in that battle, was also a Rutland man.

 

 

The badge of the RYC was taken from the Harrington Arms. The noble family of Harrington, Barons of Exton, in the county of Rutland. In 1596 Lord Cromwell was granted a licence to sell the Castle and Manor of Oakham, Rutland to Sir John Harrington of Exton.

 

The London Gazette, Edition No.13693, p829, 16th August 1794 :-