Silver
Regimental items that are past and present.



Major E.C. Fox MBE had joined the 9th/12th Lancers in the ranks and at the outbreak of WWII was a Sergeant Major. He along with Colonel Ian Smith were instrumental in forming the 27th Lancers. In 1945 he saw service in Palestine and Malaya and was a commissioned Quartermaster.


Silver ashtray donated to the Officers Mess by C T Llewellen-Palmer in 1952, the silver cap badge is hallmarked JRG&S Birmingham 1943.


Presented to
Colonel F G Blair CB
by his old Comrades
The Officers of the Leicestershire Imperial Yeomanry
who served under him
with their best wishes
a memento of his command of the Regiment
1895-1904

The above piece was made in London in 1905 and has had some damaged areas highlighted within the image. This is a large table centre piece that is mounted on a lacquered wooden plinth and represents a mounted officers of Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry in full review order. Note the black sheepskin with scarlet escalloped edges on the saddle and the typically "blank" sabretache of the late 1890s.


Engraved on the lid: Capt J W Ritchie, from Col F G Blair, to remind him of South Africa, & Leicestershire Yeomanry. 1904
Sterling silver gentleman's snuff/trinket box, ornate lid, 5” in length, 4 ounces. Maker's mark for William Hutton & Sons Ltd, retailer's stamp of A Pitson, 179 New Bond Street. Assay marks for Birmingham 1904. (Sold on eBay in May 2013)

On the front the inscription reads:-

TO
MRS MONK
FROM
OFFICERS, NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND MEN
OF THE ORIGINAL No7 SQUADRON
LEICESTERSHIRE I.Y
1901

The bowl measures 3" high, 5.75" long (handle to handle), with a top rim diameter of 3.75" and it is about 3" tall. It weighs 5.15 imperial ounces which equates to 4.68 troy ounces or 146.1 grams.

GLASS
Glass rummer, Loyal Leicestershire Volunteer Cavalry, 1805 (c); from a set used by the officers on regimental dinner nights and other social occasions; inscribed, 'Loyal Leicestershire Volunteer Cavalry'. This is held at the National Army Museum in the "Ceramics" section under the number :- 1988-08-88